This page does not have a description.
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Source: Taken from many recipes (Entered by Nora Lea)
Easy Beginner Recipe to start making a wonderful probiotic healthy drink using the SCOBY from the co-op market
Serves: 1 Gallon
Step by Step Instructions
- Bring to a slight Boil 3 quarts good water. Heating the water to dissolve the sugar and extract the tea.
- Add Tea bags and steep 15 minutes
- Add Sugar 1 cup Sugar and allow to cool to room temperature. Keep Covered and careful of contamination at this stage
- Pour cooled, room temperature liquid into fermenting container
- Add Kombucha Mushroom (which is also at room temperature)
- Add 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar or 2 cups Previously Fermented Kombucha Brew as a Starter. (to reduce the pH and protect the ferment from pathogens). Do not use un-pasteurized non-distilled apple cider
- Cover with a clean cloth, paper towel or coffee filter Set aside in a quiet undisturbed spot. Every time the liquid is disturbed the mushroom will begin to start forming over again and not form properly. (K-Tea may still be good)
- Ferment. 6 - 8 days normal brew cycle at 80F constant temperature, 8-14 days in the 70’s). 60F or below is not recommended. First time may take longer. Temperature Range: 68-83 degrees Fahrenheit K-Tea should be sparkling semi-sweet cidery taste. The pH 2.7 to 3.2.
- Save 1-2 cups (8-16 oz/240-500 ml) to begin another batch. Each batch should produce another mushroom (SCOBY). Save one mushroom and tea safely away in the event of some disaster. Use either mushroom to start another batch. You may also combine mushrooms or give away to friends
Comments added by fellow market members.
Have you ever flavored yours? I read online about some who flavor their Kombucha.